The winter season brings its own allure with cozy sweaters, warm beverages, and scenic landscapes. Yet, the unforgiving winter elements can be harsh on your delicate skin, particularly your lips. Dry and chapped lips aren’t just uncomfortable; they can also put a damper on your mood, especially as Valentine’s Day approaches. Not to worry though! We have the perfect guide to ensure your lips stay soft, moisturized, and irresistibly kissable throughout the winter months.
Hydrate from Within
- Winter may not make you feel as thirsty, but staying hydrated is crucial for maintaining healthy skin, including your lips.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to combat the dehydrating effects of colder weather. While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer for daily H2O intake, most people need about six to eight glasses of plain water each day.
Lip Balm Love
- Invest in a high-quality, hydrating lip balm with ingredients like vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, and shea butter.
- Select a lip balm with SPF during the day – lips are susceptible to the sun’s cancer causing rays too!
- Avoid lip balms with fragrance, flavor, or menthol. Those ingredients can cause irritation and contact dermatitis, especially on dry lips.
- Apply lip balm generously, and make it a habit to reapply throughout the day, especially before stepping out into the chilly air.
Our Favorite: Elta MD UV Lip Balm
Put a Lid on Licking
- Licking your lips might seem like a quick fix, but it actually worsens the problem. Saliva evaporates quickly, leaving your lips even drier than before.
- Break the habit and opt for your hydrating lip balm instead to keep your lips moisturized.
- Introduce a hydrating lip mask or a thicker balm into your nighttime skincare routine.
- Your lips undergo repair and regeneration while you sleep, so give them an extra boost of hydration during the night.
Our Favorite: Revision Skincare® YouthFull Lip Replenisher
Humidify for Happy Lips
- Indoor heating can strip the air of moisture, leaving your lips dry and cracked. Use a humidifier in your bedroom to reintroduce moisture to the air.
- This simple addition can work wonders for your lips and overall health of your skin.
Balanced Diet for Beautiful Lips
- Ensure your diet includes foods rich in vitamins and minerals, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Essential vitamins such as A, C, and E are important for sustaining the well-being of your skin, including the delicate skin on your lips.
This winter, let your lips be the center of attention for all the right reasons. Remember, a little extra care goes a long way. The team of providers and aestheticians at Georgia Skin Specialists are available to address any skincare or lip concerns you may have, and are dedicated to helping you find your best skin yet. We also offer Hyaluronic acid lip fillers that work like magic to restore both moisture and volume to your lips.